• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Serious Street Fighter Training!

Started by Lennysaurus, July 14, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

Quote from: hydrokinesis on July 24, 2009, 04:47:31 PM
Quote from: ILL_BILL on July 24, 2009, 04:44:10 PM
I just feel bad. If im running rings around someone, i like to give them SOME value for money. I probably should be a bit more cutthroat.

I know what you mean, but the question I ended up asking myself after giving a round was "Why?". I'd rather fight the CPU then most of the scrubs online/yifans hahaha.

I can understand taking it easy when you're playing with your buds and shit, but at Yifans against the randoms I'm like FFF til the red water comes out.

EDIT: Yeah Alan I know just what you mean, and I do try to give advice to people when I can see it may be merited, and I genuinely try to help my peers get better, but. . . giving a free round, IMO, isn't really helping/teaching/giving advice unless you're talking to them while you're at it, and let's face it, at yifans, there's almsot like a no speaking policy when you're sitting at the cabinet lol.

Yeah, if I come up against a scrub online and it's a decent connection I start with main play hard out and then go through all the cast I'm at least half decent at. Just to test stuff outside training mode or to find holes in my defence/offence. Then random select if they haven't given my secondary's any trouble.

If they've spent time on a 10 plus loosing streak then they have to be hungry so I pm them some tips, which they can take or leave.

If it's in arcade and they pump $20 into a machine just trying to beat you then you owe them a pep talk I reckon.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Hydro

Quote from: CoffinDrop1 on July 25, 2009, 12:18:54 AM
Just thought I would share my first time experience playing SF4 at Yifans while we are talking about it. Was about 3 weeks ago now. Rocked up during lunchtime, was really looking forward to seeing what the actual arcade game was like. I gotta say when I found it I was thinking to myself that it looked pretty old and the screen was pretty fuzzy too.

It was funny there was an Asian guy wearing glasses playing Zangief and knowing that I had very little time I thought I had to get in a quick game and run. I put my $2 bucks in and pressed start and selected the option to challenge. A young maori fulla came up to me and said "oh you challenging this guy! - he's been on it for ages, I've been waiting to play but I aint gonna challenge him!" I laughed and said "Gotta give it a bash aye."

It was faster than console play on the PS3 which took a bit of getting used to. Actually it was quite a good fight when it came down to it - his Zangief was good and I was thinking man I havent played a Zangief that uses so many of his light attacks. I lost and I popped my head over and said "Good game man" the asian guy nodded his head in acknowlegdement. The Maori fulla said "Close bro!" I laughed cos I got skooled in the last round.

I didnt think much of the arcade set up at Yifans for SF4 and hope that they upgrade it and do it justice. It wasnt till I saw the vids at Xlan that I recognised I played against the man himself. The final Damager!

. . . wait a sec, asian dude, glasses, playing Zangief. . . congrats coffin, you just played Kevin/Devilstar. He's decent eh?

stereomonkey

Quote from: CoffinDrop1 on July 25, 2009, 12:18:54 AM
It wasnt till I saw the vids at Xlan that I recognised I played against the man himself. The final Damager!

:D
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Lennysaurus

Ive stopped playing online.  Ive found that the timing throws me out so much that its not worth it anymore.

I get plenty of offline play anyway.  And now Im taking a 6 month sabatical from work, ill prob start visiting yiffans alot more.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 25, 2009, 10:30:15 AM
Ive stopped playing online.  Ive found that the timing throws me out so much that its not worth it anymore.

I get plenty of offline play anyway.  And now Im taking a 6 month sabatical from work, ill prob start visiting yiffans alot more.

You coming to RVB bro?

stereomonkey

You must be using this time to worship the gods of fighting games ;)

Hydro

Quote from: Toomeke on July 25, 2009, 10:36:45 AM

You coming to RVB bro?

Yeah Lenny bro, you goin? It wouldn't be the same without you there. . .

I'll see everyone at midday! Hope to put some names to faces today too :)

Lennysaurus

Nah Im still sick as Fuck.  Plus I might still be contageous according to the doctor!  Have fun though guys!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

CrazyMobius

I remember when the SF wasn't so bubbling as now at Yifans I would be hanging out for any challenge, scrub or not. I was playing Hugo then on 3S. You couldn't afford to be cut throat if you wanted at least a few challenges. So what I would do is play dumb ass in the first game getting hit by fireballs and just basic stuff and then play serious in the last rounds. This gave the dudes the impression that they lost cos of some bad luck. It would usually mean they would challenge for at least a few more dollars and then the more they challenged the more cut-throat I would play. But at least you got some human competition out of it.

With SF4 if I'm playing a real scrub at Yifans I'll give him seconds cos it's $2 a game, that's pretty expensive and not everyone has it at home. I mean yeah winning is important and all that but some of these guys just want to try the thing out and it just seems pretty suckful for some new guy to have his $2 pissed down the drain.

If it's online I won't give seconds cos it's free and they can just play again.

I think it's sad to hear that the idea of top competition means giving up online play. It kinda seems like putting the horse before the cart. I was so psyched when this first came out knowing that peeps could play each other at their own homes. As I've gotten older my commitments have changed and it's just not like the old days when dudes used to hang out together and just play some SF til the wee hours. Peeps got kids, marriages and jobs that take up most of that free time.

But as internet connections get faster and faster I guess soon this lag thing might not be such a big issue.

BTW is anyone out there playing SFIV on dialup? :D

maelgrim

Its called hustling  ;)

But regarding online - after seeing BB's netcode I think SF can do alot better, ive played many games vs Toomeke that were virtually lag free, ive never played an online SF game like that. Hopefully later SF patches etc can make the online experience what it deserves to be (for 98% of players anyway).
The top Pro's will always prefer arcade or locally on the same console so they can be 100% sure that the DP they missed was them screwing up and not some variable latency.

Lag will always be an issue for Pro players - the internet does not provide any form of QOS so gaming traffic will always be best effort - more BW can help in some situations but will never provide the guarantee's that Pro players require.
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

CptMunta

^ So true,

SF4 online is the only comp I really have expect my brother and his friend and they only play shotos.

It sucks when you are hanging out for a game and you end up playing a cross up happy laggy ken scrub. You stop playing your game and play to counter lagg tactics.

I say there are 2 games in Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter and strobe fighter.

Case and point from today:

Played a shoto player called Born-2-XLR8  ::)

Cross up Kens with lagg piss me off I normally don't bother. I was stupid enough to play him 5 games won 4 of them despite the lagg and dp antics.

He sends me a message:

"Ur pretty easy to beat, you just got lucky with your ultras at the end."

I facepalmed. I just wanted to message him back "Yeah I get lucky 4 out of 5 matches and lucky enough to ultra your wiffed dps."

I know it's petty, but you want to school them hard and teach them lagg tactics won't work in real life. But online sadly they do  :(
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

deprenyl

from a newbies perspective, i always get free rounds in yifans and i really do appreciate it :)

CrazyMobius

Quote from: CptMunta on July 25, 2009, 07:06:09 PM
^ So true,

SF4 online is the only comp I really have expect my brother and his friend and they only play shotos.

It sucks when you are hanging out for a game and you end up playing a cross up happy laggy ken scrub. You stop playing your game and play to counter lagg tactics.

I say there are 2 games in Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter and strobe fighter.

Case and point from today:

Played a shoto player called Born-2-XLR8  ::)

Cross up Kens with lagg piss me off I normally don't bother. I was stupid enough to play him 5 games won 4 of them despite the lagg and dp antics.

He sends me a message:

"Ur pretty easy to beat, you just got lucky with your ultras at the end."

I facepalmed. I just wanted to message him back "Yeah I get lucky 4 out of 5 matches and lucky enough to ultra your wiffed dps."

I know it's petty, but you want to school them hard and teach them lagg tactics won't work in real life. But online sadly they do  :(

I would have said - "You best go back to driving sims brother."

wimpy

I hate falling for lag tactics.... or seeing the jump nice and early, hitting that crouching roundhouse only for nothing to happen, then the rh kicks in and it's far too later and you get a meaty on you.

Problem is, there is no arcade here in Nelson. I have to play online to get any fights at all, and for the 10 or so lag matches there is occasionaly that one good game. Why must they be so few and far between though T_T.

Must keep trying to get my flatmates to play sf4...

stereomonkey

What platform are you playing it on?