• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

AU tourney setup thread (aka lag thread pt 3)

Started by Gamogo, June 08, 2010, 11:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamogo

Hi lads,

Some of the guys who came over to EVO APAC in Sydney were asking about how we set things up for locals here in Australia in terms of platform, screens, etc so that it could perhaps be replicated in NZ so as to maintain some kind of standard.

One of the biggest problems with SFIV and SSFIV (and really, any locally played competitive console game) is the output. Typically a variety of LCD televisions and desktop screens are used combined with a variety of connection methods (VGA, component, HDMI et al) and it is this variety of hardware used that invokes the potential for varied input lag. More about that in another post I made here: http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,859.msg25588.html#msg25588

Input lag can also creep into setups that pass through streaming and splitter setups though this is usually minimal and depends largely on the hardware and methods used.

In Sydney our regular gatherings are typically played on Xboxes where possible (the reasons why are cited in the post linked above) with Madcatz TE sticks and we output to BenQ E2400 HD monitors connected via HDMI leads. For sound, we jack a pair of basic stereo speakers into the BenQ screen's built in stereo socket which receives sound via the HDMI connection to the console. Note that the BenQ E2400 HDs are no longer manufactured, but some still float around. The successor is the equally viable G2420 HD. The difference being that the G series no longer includes the (shitty) built in speakers and features a slightly different visual design.

These are typically lag-free setups and this is also what we use in tournaments such as the recent EVO APAC and also at the annual OzHadou nationals.

As a comparison, EVO in the USA runs on Playstation 3 consoles and outputs to 22" ASUS screens. Why? EVO is in part sponsored by Sony (hence the PS3s being used) and the 22" ASUS screens yield minimal input lag when output to at 720p (the PS3's fixed resolution for SFIV/SSFIV's output).

I hope this helps. Obviously this information isn't going to make everyone drop what they are currently using and go and buy new shit, but I figured it was worth sharing how we set things up here after speaking with Gankatron about it a couple weeks back.

The biggest piss-off I have personally is this lag stuff which is a side effect of LCD technology and its current inadequacies. It invokes just enough potential variability in setups to throw people off their game momentarily until they adjust to a new or foreign setup. This is particularly annoying for people who drive link-heavy characters and so on.
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

- Carl Sagan

http://gamogo.wordpress.com

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Cheers Gamogo. This is a really helpful piece of information actually, given that lag issues here are a major point of conflict.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Unfortunately we don't have the resources to be able to guarantee such a setup.

Hopefully what was shown by the lag tests on the GIGA monitors shuts everyone up though. Now they just need to move on to bitching about seeding, or lighting, or the feel of the toilet paper at the venue or something.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on June 08, 2010, 12:54:33 PM

Hopefully what was shown by the lag tests on the GIGA monitors shuts everyone up though. Now they just need to move on to bitching about seeding, or lighting, or the feel of the toilet paper at the venue or something.

Giga doesnt actually have toilet paper. Actually this conversation came up at the last ranbats. Its a pretty dirty argument though. Definitely a sore point for the community.

Obviously there are those of us that are used to a bit of luxury that would prefer something at least 2ply, but the GI balla in me does kind of want to pinch his pennies and vote for home brand. But that shit is like trying to clean your ass with sandpaper-coated razor wire. Do we request quality, or financially viable? Its a pretty tough call. We need to wipe away our differences, and squeeze out some kind of solution.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

samurai black

id like some paper towels at least to dry my hands after i wash the fecal matter and urine off them.

Skullator

Haha I noticed while taking a slash there was no toilet paper at ranbats

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on June 08, 2010, 12:54:33 PM

Actually everyone seemed to be on a real positive vibe. I think the expectation of failure or negative reactions may be not be worth the price of being right.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: samurai black on June 08, 2010, 01:14:35 PM
id like some paper towels at least to dry my hands after i wash the fecal matter and urine off them.

For the last time, stop eating at KFC.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Thank Gamogo for the information, as I have also laid this out with the people around here but they are unwilling to accept what I had to say. It seems people didn't want to recognize what I had to say and just threw it out the window without hesitation, but until another person who speaks the same the outcome is totally different!!! how suprizing this maybe.

Giga does have toilet paper, just randoms stealing it all, it may not be the best quality but what do you expect from a net cafe? I've seen much dirtier cafe's toilet than what they have at giga...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

samurai black

Quote from: zosla on June 08, 2010, 01:37:02 PM
Giga does have toilet paper, just randoms stealing it all, it may not be the best quality but what do you expect from a net cafe? I've much dirtier cafe's toilet than what they have at giga...

like midcity before they moved.

and then midcity after they moved  :D

Skullator

Stealing toilet paper? That's rock bottom.

xkheretic

there was toilet paper there... it just happened to be all over the floor.

zos'la

Quote from: xkheretic on June 08, 2010, 01:56:02 PM
there was toilet paper there... it just happened to be all over the floor.
Due to uneducated people or rather.... fucktards who care less to make a mess wherever they go.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Rorooze

Quote from: zosla on June 08, 2010, 01:37:02 PM
Thank Gamogo for the information, as I have also laid this out with the people around here but they are unwilling to accept what I had to say. It seems people didn't want to recognize what I had to say and just threw it out the window without hesitation, but until another person who speaks the same the outcome is totally different!!! how suprizing this maybe.

you don't get it andy. we're not saying that benq 24 inch monitors on xbox with hdmi are bad, but it's not as simple as saying "LETS DO WHAT THEY DID BECAUSE DAIGO LIKED IT~!~!1``1`~!~!!!" because where the hell are you supposed to get that kind of set up at a reasonable price?

we've done lag tests on the monitors that we can get access too (you were even there) and lenny has decided that the ASUS monitors are fit for purpose. we're talking something between 0 and 1 frame of lag.

just give it a break, will ya?